(The Blog Formerly Known as "Countdown to 30" and "30 is the New Twenty")

Saturday, August 22, 2009

When Fate Takes Over My iPod

Today on my bus ride to work, I was listening to my iPod, like I usually do, when fate took over the shuffle. Right in a row I heard "Not Ready to Make Nice" by the Dixie Chicks, "Stronger" by Kanye West. and "Black Swan" by Thom Yorke. To most people, this might just seem like a really eclectic mix of music, but for me these songs were my anthems from last summer. I listened to them constantly. I would sit in my car with the windows rolled down listening to "Black Swan" on repeat. It was pep up song before I went into work. Ok, I know. Thom Yorke as a pep song? It worked for me, though. I was in a really bad place with my job. I felt trapped and these songs brought me comfort. It was odd today how they just popped up in a row on my iPod. I was instantly transported back to last summer and it was like I felt the awful feelings all over again. I felt myself welling with tears, but half way through "Stronger," they stopped. I was feeling really happy. Impressed about where I am a year later. Yeah, I still have bad days, but they are not every day. I don't take my work home with me like I used to back in Minneapolis. Baby steps. It feels good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice post and I love listening to the song Stronger...the music is awesome..can't get enough of it :)

Stay smiling and don't let things bog you down :)

Anonymous said...

Forgot to say...

Have a nice weekend!