(The Blog Formerly Known as "Countdown to 30" and "30 is the New Twenty")

Sunday, July 15, 2007

Stop the World I Want to Get Off

The title of this post was one of my Mom's little sayings. She would say this whenever she saw something just so ghastly and appalling. Lately, I feel like I have a "Stop the World I Want to Get Off" moment just about everyday. When did we become such a rude nation of idiots who push and shove, flip someone off, and generally lack basic manners and courtesy for others? I just don't get it. I don't remember people acting like this ten years ago. Well, I am sure some people did... but not everyone. I know that living in Minnesota there's the lovely passive aggressive Minnesota Nice, but it goes beyond that (don't even get me started on MN Nice). We have become a nation of selfish impatient rude people. No wonder other countries hate us. I hate us, too. It just gets so old. It wears me out. I am tired of seeing people behaving like a bunch of baboons. I am tired of leaving work and thinking I would be happy if I never saw the general public ever again. I having evenings where I don't want to go out, because I don't feel like being around people. I frequently have to bite my tongue when I see someone treating another person poorly. I have become so desensitized that it doesn't phase me when someone calls me a bitch. It actually makes me laugh.

What does this come down to? We've become a society of people who are impatient and self-centered. No one bothers teaching manners to their children. People think they have this sense of entitlement that allows them to treat the poor barista like crap when he or she can't make their half caf grande soy mocha fast enough or makes it ok to plow their SUV into another lane without checking their blind spot. If everyone would just take a step back and think about their behavior and calm down, I would be a lot less crabby.

No comments: