(The Blog Formerly Known as "Countdown to 30" and "30 is the New Twenty")

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Customers First

This lunch bag makes me laugh every time I look at it. Catherine found it for me at the Unique Thrift store. I have never used it as an actual lunch bag, but it will find it's way into my screenplay. It reminds me of my days at the Department Store. They were big on programs that were nothing but hot air, but I guess the big wigs felt like they were making a difference. I could just see them coming up with the big plan: We unveil our 'Customers First' program by giving away lunch bags to our employees. Because nothing makes people happier than a vinyl lunch bag. In fact, it can help to erase low wages and poor working conditions. Once our employees are happy, they will have no problem putting the customer first! Ta-dah! All of our problems are solved with a little plastic lunch bag that was cheap to mass produce. The best part of all of this was how no one really bought into it. Within a year or so, they were onto a new and improved plan that was filled with more of the same bs, but recycled into a new package. I am so glad I no longer have to deal with this. Although it does provide inspiration for my screenplay.

I haven't actually had a chance to sit down and work on my screenplay, but I have been working things out in my head. I am a bit of an incubator. I plan things out before I sit down to write. It works the best for me. I used this technique a lot in graduate school. I could be at work and working on a paper at the same time. When I finally got around to working on the paper, it took half the time to write. I only wish I learned how to do this earlier. I am hoping to spend a good chunk of time on it this weekend. I've got new situations, new characters, and lots of attitude. Most importantly, I actually feel like working on it.

No comments: