(The Blog Formerly Known as "Countdown to 30" and "30 is the New Twenty")

Monday, April 9, 2007

An Important Lesson on Talking

I have always been a talker. I spoke my first words at an early age and never stopped talking. Seriously. I would have "vocabulary runs" (as my mom called them) at three am when I would run through every word in my vocabulary (my poor, poor parents). At parent teacher conferences many of my teachers politely told my parents that I was a bit too social. I have been known to talk in my sleep. At times I am very verbose a la "the Gilmore Girls." The past couple of days my sinuses have been waging a war on my body and talking has become difficult.. Due to all the stuff draining from my head into my throat, I have sounded like a 13 year old boy going through puberty, a harp seal, and a three pack a day smoker. I discovered how much I really talk and how much I take the ability to talk without sounding like a freak show for granted. Talking has never been something that's difficult for me. It was very hard on Easter with the rellies. Not that I wanted to be able to give a monologue and monopolize conversations, but I found I wasn't asking as many questions or providing witty commentary like I normally do. It just got so frustrating to have to make such an effort to communicate. I have a new found appreciation for non-native English speakers and people who don't like to talk. I am looking forward to having all of my vocal capabilities back. And Claritin-D is helping me get back to normal. Ugh. I sound like a commerical. It seriously has worked wonders. My new allergy drug of choice.

The sinus thing has impacted my appetite. Especially on Easter. I usually eat myself into a food coma. This was not the case yesterday. I felt kind of bad. It's not everyday I get a real home cooked meal of ham and au gratin potatoes. Thank goodness for leftovers. I have enough ham for the next week. Yum.

No comments: