(The Blog Formerly Known as "Countdown to 30" and "30 is the New Twenty")

Monday, June 29, 2009

Happy-Go-Lucky? Not So Much

Yesterday I finally got around to watching "Happy-Go--Lucky." I have to admit I was really excited to watch this movie. All of the reviews I read made it seem like such a fun, light-hearted movie. I felt like I could relate to the main character, Poppy, because she's 30 years old and a teacher. I was very disappointed. The movie had the weakest plot I've ever seen. Essentially, Poppy has her bike stolen and has to take driving lessons. On paper that sounds good, but it didn't translate well onto the screen.. In between scenes of her driving lessons (which are funny), are these rambley scenes of Poppy partying with friends, teaching, taking flamenco dancing lessons with a friend and meandering her way around London. I guess there was the sub-plot of her dealing with a student who is a bully. Even that didn't really add much. Then, there was the third act addition of love-interest. That didn't save the movie. The movie left me wanting the two hours back I spent watching it. I kept waiting for some huge plot development, but sadly, it never happened.

"Happy Go Lucky" really disappointed me. I had heard such good things about and it was nominated for so many awards. Sally Hawkins won a Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Comedy or Musical. Maybe it was just me. Maybe I just had too high of expectations going into watching it. I just don't understand all the hype.

No comments: