(The Blog Formerly Known as "Countdown to 30" and "30 is the New Twenty")

Monday, March 10, 2008

Juno

I finally got around to seeing "Juno" today. Wow. It was fabulous. I was so amazed. It literally brought me to tears because it was such a well-done movie. When it was over, I was a bit sad. I seriously could've watched it again. It's well-written and well-acted. It is the best teen-pregnancy movie I've ever seen. It has such a fresh, new take on teenage pregnancy. And it wasn't just another teenage comedy, either. Good realistic teenage characters. It had such heart and really explained teenage life in suburbia. I was so impressed. Allison Janney had the perfect "mom" outfits; they really reminded me of my own Mom's wardrobe of comfy clothing. The casting was perfect. I loved Jason Bateman and Jennifer Garner as the yuppie couple. Ellen Page is simply amazing.

I really liked the Midwestern suburbia touches of the movie. It is so dead-on. Juno's house has the homey cluttered quality. Her step-mom clearly shops at JCP and Sears. The family has a mini-van. Juno and her friends play pranks on each other. They drink slushies. Yeah, people probably do these things on the east coast, but there's this indescribable Midwestern quality about the movie that made me nostalgic for my own childhood in Midwestern suburbia.

It was nice to finally see the movie and be able to form my own opinions about the movie. I don't understand why people don't think the dialogue wasn't realistic for teens. Juno is a smart. sassy teenager, of course she's going to talk different than an average kid. People also took issue with the catch phrases. That's another part of teenage vernacular. And Diablo really deserved the Oscar. It is so well-written.

I left the theater so inspired to work on my own writing.

No comments: