(The Blog Formerly Known as "Countdown to 30" and "30 is the New Twenty")

Wednesday, May 2, 2007

The Woman Who Sold the World

It looks like Courtney Love is at it again. Is nothing sacred? Can we just let poor Kurt Cobain rest in peace? This time Courtney has decided that she is going to sell all of Kurt's possessions. I guess she's tired of having the house look like a shrine to Kurt. I can sort of understand that. What I don't understand is she is donating 1/2 of the proceeds to charity and the rest goes to her. Does she need anymore money? What does she plan to do with it? Get her botched lipo job fixed. Buy some more drugs. Some bad designer clothing. I think if you're going to do anything with his belongings, it should either go to charity or be donated to a museum. That's just me. The money could go to an organization that helps people with depression or drug abuse or funds music programs for kids. Something. Anything but in her hands. Frances Bean will receive one of his guitars, the sweater that he wore for the MTV Unplugged New York special, and a flannel. I am not a big fan of Courtney Love. Never have been. I did like the Hole song "Doll Parts" and her rocker chick style of the early 90's. I loved the baby doll dresses with the mary jane shoes. But, I don't like the mess that she has made of Kurt's posthumous life. Selling his journals. Poor taste. Causing the huge fight between the remaining band members. Very Yoko. I just don't like her.

Also, I wonder what kind of person would want to buy one of Kurt's old flannels or his signature cardigan sweater. Personally, I find that sort of thing disturbing. It's creepy. What would you do with it? You couldn't wear it. Put it on the wall in your living room. Make a quilt. I just don't get it. I am not into morbid displays of celebrity worship.

While I am not the Kurt Cobain expert, I don't think he's the type that would want people buying his stuff. I think he deserves more than a rummage sale of his belongings.

No comments: