(The Blog Formerly Known as "Countdown to 30" and "30 is the New Twenty")

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Much Ado About Nothing

Last week the big story in MN was the baseball player on the Coon Rapids Little League team who spit in his hand before shaking hands with his opponate after loosing the big game. Everyone was so upset about this. The horror that the boy would do something so appaling! He ruined his teams image... Not to mention Coon Rapids. What will people across the nation think of Coon Rapids and MN. Not so MN nice anymore, are we?

It really must have been a slow news week. Seriously. The boy didn't kill the other boy. He spit in his hand and shook hands with the other kid. Yeah, it's disrespectful, but as far as the spectrum of awful things that kids do, it's not that bad. He probably should know better, but it's just kids being kids. Maybe he was dared by a team mate or just thought it would be a funny thing to do. It wasn't something that was done with malice. If you watch the clip of it, the kid was laughing. I think everyone has several memories of dares gone bad or doing something stupid from their own childhoods. I know that my own childhood was full of these experiences. The earliest one I can recall is being the lookout in kindergarten when the teacher left the room. That ended in me spending the afternoon in the hall thinking about my behavior. Or when I was in 8th grade and someone got the bright idea of pouring water on a bag from a player on the opposing basketball team. I was suspended for two games (even though I just watched) and my entire class thought I did it. I just don't think the spitting incident it's as big of a deal as people make it into. It's part of growing up to do things like this. I am sure this kid learned his lesson. And that's really all that matters.

3 comments:

Honey Bunny said...

i didn't even hear about this. where have i been?

Michelle said...

you must not have gotten your fill of Fox News. :) I think I kept seeing it on there and on the radio.

Sornie said...

I think far more disturbing things have taken place as far as residents of Coon Rapids go.