(The Blog Formerly Known as "Countdown to 30" and "30 is the New Twenty")

Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Soccer Moms and Starbucks

Today on my break at work all I wanted was a nice iced coffee from Starbucks. I hadn't had enough caffeine this morning and I was feeling sorta cranky. Usually there isn't much of a line at Starbucks when I go on my break, but today it was sorta crazy. I can deal with that because it moves fast, however, it quickly became one of the most painful waiting in line experiences of my life because of the woman in front of me. She had three children--two walking and one in the stroller. The kids weren't the problem, it was the mom. I'm patiently waiting in line when she decides it's time to back up her Hummer-like stroller with saying "excuse me" to me. Without warning the woman and the stroller start moving backwards rapidly towards me. I ended up having to wedge myself sideways next to the table of coffee paraphenalia in order to avoid being crushed to death by the weight of the stroller and the soccer mom. All she wanted to do was get her darlings out of line so grandma could watch them. I am apparently invisible. I didn't say anything because I was so in shock from seeing my life flash before my eyes. Soccer mom gets up to the counter and orders a Grande Mocha with no whip. She inquires about the number of shots of espresso. Duh.... three shots. That was too much. She wanted one of the shots decaf. Hello? That makes no sense. She could've asked for a Grande Mocha with only two shots and not three. The barista looked sort of confused but complied with soccer mom. I ordered my drink and moved over to the side to wait for it to be made. Because my drink isn't all foo-foo like soccer mom's beverage, mine was ready before hers. Ha. It was like karma was on my side. The dumb woman took up the entire counter waiting for her drink. I said, "excuse me" to her, but she didn't budge. I ended up having to crawl over her to get my drink. She glared at me. As I was adding cream to my coffee, soccer mom was inquiring about the status of her drink and making sure there was one decaf shot of espresso. She was upset about waiting. I rolled my eyes at her.

Did I mention that I had to order a Venti rather than a grande iced coffee because I was so annoyed by the woman's behavior? Just because she has kids does not give her the right to practically run me over and show zero manners to me and the baristas. Having kids does not make her entitled to better service than the rest of us. As I've said before, if you don't have time to wait in line, don't do it. Go to Holiday and get your coffee.

No comments: