(The Blog Formerly Known as "Countdown to 30" and "30 is the New Twenty")

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Retail Baby


Yesterday my friend came up with a new catch phrase, "retail baby" to describe me. I think this term is quite fitting and I'm also not really sure what it means. I do, however, see this term being popular on the streets. It has huge potential. I could see two catty girls talking about a co-worker: "She is such a retail baby. That's why she got the promotion."
Let me explain... I'm a "retail baby" because I've got retail in my blood. There's no fighting it. On my Dad's side of the family, I'm third generation to have worked retail. My grandpa worked for JCP for 40 years. My two uncles followed in his foot steps and my dad sold shoes and swept floors there in high school. I even had an old mannequin when I was little. My mom worked for Marshall Field's at their State Street location in the bed and bath department. We talk retail at the holidays, too. As for me, I've got 5.5 years of retail fun under my belt. That's six holiday seasons. I still have my sanity, too. Yeah, I'm a retail baby.

2 comments:

The Cheap Chick said...

The thought of having an old mannequin as a child TOTALLY FREAKS ME OUT. I hate those things, even after seeing the Kim Catrall movie. They Are Scary!

Michelle said...

I should clarify that it wasn't a traditional mannequin. It looked more like a big doll-2 to 3 feet tall. The limbs weren't removeable, either. Very kid friendly. Mannequins are sort of creepy. Especially when they have hair.