(The Blog Formerly Known as "Countdown to 30" and "30 is the New Twenty")

Thursday, April 10, 2008

I Just Don't Get It...

This is going to make me very unpopular with the local music fans of the Twin Cities, but I don't care. Last night I saw local band turned national music media darlings, Tapes n Tapes on Conan. I was unimpressed. The only word I can use to describe them is: overrated. They're not bad, but they're not great. They're just meh at best. They just don't seem to live up to their hype. Tapes n Tapes is really nothing special. They seem the same as every other Indie Rock band. Everyone else in this town seems to think they are the best band ever. I just don't understand it. I've never understood it. I saw them before they broke nationally (before Erik Applewick jumped on the bandwagon), at the Hexagon, and I just thought they were ok. Mediocre at best. I would never go out of my way to see them, but they also don't make me want to rip out my eardrums, either.

No comments: