(The Blog Formerly Known as "Countdown to 30" and "30 is the New Twenty")

Saturday, July 5, 2008

Happy Belated Birthday, America!

Last night in honor of our nation's birthday, my neighborhood was out of control with amateur pyrotechnic displays. I seriously thought I was living in a war zone. They went on until three in the morning. Isn't that a little excessive? And sort of lame. I could see until midnight, but that's the cutoff. I am not against people having fun, but I draw the line at moronic fun. These fireworks were not part of the pack that Target sells, these were full-on, last time I checked, illegal fireworks. Needless to say, I did not get a good night sleep. I went to bed at midnight and I got up again at one because there was no way I was going to fall asleep. I ended up watching television until 2 and went back to bed. Ugh. I'm sort of tired and cranky today.

Minneapolis and St. Paul both put on really good fireworks displays. Our tax dollars probably fund them. Why wouldn't you just go watch those instead of putting on home displays that might risk injury or a setting your house on fire? I just don't get it. I guess I can see sparklers, but not professional pyrotechnics.

No comments: